“THE ULTIMATE SUMMER MOVIE QUIZ 2012”
Presented by Film Distributors’ Association
More at www.movies-coming-soon.com
Round 1 – Who am I?
Your task is to identify the movie star from the clue.
Questions 1 to 5 have one-word answers.
Each answer is the first name of the actor or actress concerned.
Question 6 is related to questions 1 to 5
1) “I am making a welcome return to big action roles in a high-octane thriller set in Mexico, called HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION. Who am I?”
2) “In the last few years, I have appeared in NEW YEAR’S EVE and STARDUST, and I’m also in DARK SHADOWS, alongside Johnny Depp, opening this summer. Who am I?”
3) “I recently starred in SHAME and A DANGEROUS METHOD, and this summer I’m in Ridley Scott’s red-hot sci-fi thriller, PROMETHEUS. Who am I?”
4) “I have played Agent 99, the White Queen and Jane Austen, and now I’m playing Selina in this summer’s eagerly awaited blockbuster, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. Who am I?”
5) “In MIRROR MIRROR, released earlier this summer, in which Julia Roberts plays the Queen, I play the Prince. And in summer 2013, look out for me as the Lone Ranger. Who am I?”
6) For question 6, cast your eye back at the first names you’ve got for questions 1 to 5. Take the first letter of each name, and re-arrange those 5 letters to form the first word of the title of one of the most popular summer movies of all time. Question 6 is – what is that film?
6. MAMMA MIA! THE MOVIE
Round 2 – Pick of the Brit Pack
This round is all about British actors who appear on screen in big movies this summer.
There are 10 questions about films they made earlier in their flourishing careers:
1) Tom Hardy plays the villain in one of the summer’s hottest films – already mentioned in the first round – THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. In which Guy Ritchie thriller, set in London, did Tom play “Handsome Bob”?
2) Alice Eve, daughter of Trevor Eve, will soon be seen in MEN IN BLACK 3 – and next summer she’ll be in the STAR TREK sequel too. A couple of years ago, Alice appeared in another hit sequel written and directed by Michael Patrick King. What was this film called?
3) In FAST GIRLS, the new British film released in time for the Olympics, Bradley James plays an athletics trainer called Carl. In which popular TV series does he play a character named Arthur?
4) Nick Frost will be on screen this summer in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and he also voices a character in the new ICE AGE movie. Last year, Nick appeared in ATTACK THE BLOCK, the sci-fi thriller set in a south London housing estate, directed by Joe Cornish. Who starred as the teenager Moses in ATTACK THE BLOCK?
5) Helena Bonham Carter joins Johnny Depp and Eva Green in DARK SHADOWS, directed by her husband, Tim Burton. In which Brad Pitt movie, not directed by Tim Burton, did Helena play the leading lady?
6) Dominic Cooper will be seen this summer in ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER. In which award-winning, 21st-century film, set in 1960s’ England, was Dominic Cooper’s girlfriend played by Rosamund Pike?
7) Sir Ben Kingsley features this summer in the riotous Sacha Baron Cohen comedy, THE DICTATOR. Sir Ben was last seen at Christmas 2011 in Martin Scorsese’s HUGO. He also starred in Scorsese’s previous thriller, which was released in 2010. What was this film called?
8) Pembrokeshire’s very own Rhys Ifans is in two strikingly different films this summer – the romcom THE FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT, from the producer of BRIDESMAIDS, and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in which he plays The Lizard. A couple of years ago, Rhys starred as MR NICE. Who was the true-life person on whose autobiography MR NICE was based?
9) Andrew Garfield makes his first appearance this summer as the afore-mentioned AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Andrew appeared in Terry Gilliam’s visual masterpiece, THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS, which was famously, and sadly, the final film featuring the late Heath Ledger. When Heath passed away during production, which 3 actors completed his role? There’s a point for each.
10) Rising star Tom Hiddleston reprises his role of Loki in MARVEL AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, which has just had a huge opening in cinemas. But in which recent movie was Tom cast as an earth-bound army captain?
2. SEX AND THE CITY 2
4. JOHN BOYEGA
5. FIGHT CLUB
6. AN EDUCATION
7. SHUTTER ISLAND
8. HOWARD MARKS
9. JOHNNY DEPP, COLIN FARRELL, JUDE LAW
10. WAR HORSE
Round 3 – Calling the shots
This round focuses on the key creative talents behind the scenes – the movie directors who call the shots on set.
1) Adam Shankman directed this summer’s extravaganza, ROCK OF AGES, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Tom Cruise. In the 2007 movie HAIRSPRAY, which Adam also directed, who played Wilbur, the husband of Edna – John Travolta?
2) In how many of the eight feature films directed to date by Christopher Nolan, including THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, has Scarlett Johansson appeared? Is it none, 1 or 2?
3) David Bowers directed the new DIARY OF A WIMPY KID movie, out in August, the third in that hit series of family comedies. The very first movie David directed was an animated comedy from Aardman, released in cinemas in 2006 – what was it called?
4) Richard Ayoade appears in this summer’s Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn comedy, NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH. In last year’s highly acclaimed release, SUBMARINE, directed by Richard, which young actor starred as Oliver, the teenager at the heart of the story?
5) Stephan Elliot is the Australian director of A FEW BEST MEN, a comedy out in cinemas this August, and, a few years back, of THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA: QUEEN OF THE DESERT. Which recent movie with Colin Firth did Stephan Elliot also direct?
6) Ol Parker is the London-born director of this summer’s emotional film, NOW IS GOOD, with hot lead actors, Dakota Fanning and Jeremy Irvine. For which recent hit movie with an older cast including Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, did Ol Parker write the screenplay?
7) THE BOURNE LEGACY, out this summer and starring Jeremy Renner, is directed by Tony Gilroy, who wrote the screenplays for the previous 3 Jason Bourne movies. On which George Clooney movie did Tony Gilroy make his directorial debut?
8) Ben Drew – a.k.a. Plan B – has written and directed the film, ILL MANORS, starring Riz Ahmed, which is out this summer, and Ben himself stars as George Carter in THE SWEENEY, to be released soon. In which Michael Caine thriller, made at Elstree Studios, did Ben appear on screen a few years ago?
1. 1.CHRISTOPHER WALKEN
3. FLUSHED AWAY
4. CRAIG ROBERTS
5. EASY VIRTUE
6. THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL
7. MICHAEL CLAYTON
8. HARRY BROWN
Round 4 – The Summer of ’009
Here’s a magazine cover showing 8 film images. All the films were released in cinemas 3 summers ago, back in 2009 – between the months of May and August.
Your challenge is to name any 4 of the 8 films – not the stars but the actual film titles.
There’s a point for each correct full title, so up to 4 points on offer here.
ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3, BANDSLAM, HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, BRUNO JULIA & JULIA, THE PROPOSAL, BROCKEN EMBRACES, LAND OF THE LOST
Round 5 – Big screen big heroes
A mixed bag of 9 questions, with a total of 10 points available in this round:
1) TOY STORY 3, the top-grossing summer movie of all time, was released in July 2010. It featured Ken and Barbie, among many other toys in the cast. Which US actor was the voice of Ken?
2) BRAVE, released this summer, is the new Pixar movie, set in Scotland. It’s the story of Princess Merida, voiced by Kelly Macdonald. In which Oscar-winning Coen brothers movie did Kelly appear with Josh Brolin?
3) Steven Spielberg’s classic 1975 adventure film, JAWS, is re-released in cinemas this summer, looking better than ever. The police chief was played by Roy Scheider, who had previously appeared in which famous crime thriller directed by William Friedkin?
4) Moving on up to the 1980s: CHARIOTS OF FIRE, an Oscar-winner from 1982, returns digitally re-mastered to cinemas this July, with its glorious re-enactment of the summer 1924 Olympic Games. A central, heroic character was the great Scottish athlete, Eric Liddell, but who played him?
5) Coming right back up to date – Seth Macfarlane’s sensational comedy, TED, coming out in August, features Mark Wahlberg and a rather grown-up teddy bear. The leading lady is Mila Kunis from BLACK SWAN and FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS. Where was Mila Kunis born – was it Uruguay, Ukraine or the USA?
6) “General Aladeen” is THE DICTATOR in Sacha Baron Cohen’s latest audacious comedy. Starring alongside him is Anna Faris. In which of these 3 movies did Anna Faris not appear? – BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, SCARY MOVIE 2, JENNIFER’S BODY.
7) For the animated adventure, THE LORAX, based on the Dr Seuss story, which is out this summer, Danny DeVito supplies the voice of the title creature. Previously, Danny DeVito played the character “Martin Weir” on screen in two films based on Elmore Leonard novels. GET SHORTY was one of these, what was the other?
8) Channing Tatum, hot off 21 JUMP STREET, heads the cast of the action thriller, G.I. JOE: RETALIATION. In which recent, more romantic movie did he star together with Amanda Seyfried?
9) This year marks 50 years of James Bond in the cinema, and we’ll be celebrating in magnificently heroic style when SKYFALL is unleashed in October. The villain of SKYFALL is played by Javier Bardem, who you’ll recall also starred in Woody Allen’s VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA. In that movie, who played Vicky?
1. MICHAEL KEATON
2. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
3. THE FRENCH CONNECTION
4. IAN CHARLESON
6. JENNIFER’S BODY
7. BE COOL
8. DEAR JOHN
9. REBECCA HALL